5 Signs Your Home Has Dangerous Toxic Mold
Mold is a common symptom of households with leaks, condensation, and other plumbing issues, but it shouldn’t be treated lightly. Exposure to toxic mold can lead to a host of health problems, including allergies, respiratory issues, and even long-term poisoning if left untreated. If you suspect your home may have mold problems, act immediately and hire a professional to check your home. If you’re unsure if your home has a mold problem, here are a few indicators that your home may be contaminated.
1. Water damage and stains
Mold thrives in damp conditions where water and condensation accumulate over time. Unless the water damage happened very recently, any kind gradual damage — such as warping, or stains on the floor, ceilings, and walls — are a clear sign that mold is present.
A common problem for residents is mistaking mold growth as dirt or discoloration on the walls. Mold can take a variety of forms. Sometimes it appears clearly as furry blooms of grey, black or green, and other times it may look like a stringy streak of white. Investigate any discoloration you see in your home to eliminate the possibility of mold.
3. Musty odor
A persistent musty smell in the house is a clear sign that mold is growing somewhere in your home. If you think you might be too acclimated to the smell of your house, invite a friend or neighbor over to give their take. Thoroughly inspect your home to find the source of this smell. If you can’t locate the source of the smell, call a professional.
4. Untreated leaks
Mold is a natural byproduct of water sitting in unventilated areas, and untreated leaks recreate these conditions perfectly. Detect leaks before they leads to water damage and mold with Flo. Flo can sense the tiniest micro leaks in your pipes (even at a rate of one drop per minute!) that would otherwise go unnoticed.
5. Allergies, respiratory problems and other health issues
If you have developed allergies or breathing issues that magically disappear when you leave the house, you may have a toxic mold problem. These symptoms may include coughing, sneezing, flu-like symptoms, congestion, itchy eyes, difficulty breathing and more. If these health issues are in fact mold-related, you know the mold problem is already advanced. Call a professional immediately and limit your time in the house until all the mold is removed.